Sunday, December 3, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 3: California & Colorado

On the third day of Christmas we come upon the state where I grew up and the state where I now reside.

California:
In case you never noticed, there are so many damn songs about California!  And this includes Christmas songs.  These are just 2 of many songs about Christmas in the Golden State, such as the creatively named:

"Christmas in California" by: Brian Battles


Out of all the Christmas songs I came across about California, I hated this one the least.  It's catchy and cheesy, but in a winky tongue-in-cheek way. It has a Beach Boys sound and clearly jokes about that fact. It's dumb but I liked it.

3 out of 5 surfboards.


"Christmas in California" by: The Cheetah Girls



Oh.

My.

God.

Kill it. Kill it with Fire!
I take back all the snark and shade I threw at Arkansas' song. This is the worst. The literal worst. Sorry Millennials.  This is how we failed you. Never mind the national debt, student loans, and the lack of jobs. It's this.

0 out of 5 Cheetahs




Honorable Mention:
"Christmas in San Francisco" by: Tony Romano
Because Northern California needs some love too.


Colorado:

"Colorado Christmas" by: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band



Seeing as how this song is about the state where I grew up, you would think that I would love it.  It does tug at my heartstrings a little, but since it's not a song I grew up listening to, I don't have any deep nostalgia or fondness for it.  It's one of those songs that we probably heard every now and then in the car on the country radio station at Christmas time. Also, I never loved the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band mostly because everyone outside of CO always thought we were just a bunch of cowboys who skied all the time, I kind of resented the Nitty Gritty fellas for perpetuating the cowboy stereotype.
But after giving the song a fresh listen after many years, it's not so bad.

2 out of 5 skiing cowboys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.