Thursday, December 21, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 21: South Dakota & Tennessee

On the 21st day of Jessmas, my Google-Fu found for me:


South Dakota:

"Merry Christmas, South Dakota" by: The Rockford Mules

At first this song seems like a rock ballad about a lost love, but upon closer listening (and context clues from the music video) it seems to be more about missing loved ones who are no longer with us.  I like the tune and the strong rock vocals.  It's a bit of a sad song, but I liked it.

4 out of 5 Mules




"South Dakota Christmas" by: Hailey Steele

Yet another I-miss-you-baby-at-Christmastime song.  It's not quite indie folk, not quite country, not quite pop; I don't know how to classify it.  I like Hailey's smokey vocals, and dammit this song is catchy.  I'm probably going to have the chorus stuck in my head all day.  However, it is so sappy and even the opening bars of the song feel cliche.  Not a huge fan.

2 out of 5 John Deere tractors 





(Sorry,  South Dakota)




Tennessee:

"Tennessee Christmas" by: Alabama

This song was originally written by Amy Grant and Gary Chapman, but this particular version holds a special place in my heart. I am biased as hell about this song, because my mom would play this album every year at Christmas when I was growing up, so this song hits all the nostalgia buttons for me. Yes, it's sappy and country AF, but I like it.

4 out of 5 Grand Ole Oprys





"Christmas Time in Tennessee" by: Chris Chappell

I am suddenly transported back to the early 2000's when male musicians were trying to reinvent that 90's grunge rock sound and sucking at it.  No wonder your girlfriend left you.  The best part about this song is how short it is.  Bleh.

1 out of 5 Nirvana knock-off bands




"Christmas in Tennessee" by: Sherry Gibson Breckenridge

There comes a point where all country music starts to sound the same to me.  This song has crossed that point for me.  This song is over-the-top with sap and the Tennessee accent.  I cannot take you seriously when you sing "Aaaay-n-jee-aail" when singing the word "angel." Sorry people with southern accents.  I don't mind a little twang, but this song is too much.

1 out of 5 Literally the first image to come up in a Google search of the term "country music"





"Christmas in Tennessee" by: Louie Setzer

This song is the bluegrassiest bluegrass to ever bluegrass. It's amazing. At first, I hated it, but once I started picturing a little old hillbilly moonshiner sitting on his porch singing this, I started to enjoy it. Plus, it's short. It's not something I would listen to all the time, but it has a funny charm to it.


2.5 out of 5 Popcorn Suttons


"Jesus turned the water into wine, I turned it into likker."
-Popcorn Sutton

(Yes he was from NC, but I can't help but picture him singing this song.)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.