Wednesday, December 6, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 6: Hawaii & Idaho

On the 6th day of Christmas, my Google-Fu sang to me:

Hawaii:

I'm sure everyone is expecting Mele Kalikimaka to be on this list, but that would just be too easy! Instead, I found other Hawaii Christmas tunes that I bet you haven't heard of, or at least are less familiar with.

"Santa's Hula" by: Hilo Hattie



According to Hawaii.com, this song made their list of  top 10 favorite Hawaiian Christmas songs.  It has that classic ukulele and steel guitar sound that is associated with Hawaiian music.  If you're sick of listening to Mele Kalikimaka but longing for a little tropical flare to your Christmas playlistthis song is a less catchy but suitable alternative.

4 out of 5 Coconuts



"My Hawaiian Christmas" by: Dennis Kamakahi




For an even less catchy, but far more soothing island sound, this is the song for you.  It's just simple guitar and vocals. Though baritone instead of tenor, I found Dennis Kamakahi's vocal style reminiscent of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (you know, the guy who sang the cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow that gets played during the slideshow at every wedding and Bar/Bat Mitzvah you've ever been to?  Yeah, that guy.)
Even though this song is over 4 minutes long (way too long for a Christmas song) it was so relaxing, I didn't really mind.

4 out of 5 Leis




Idaho:

"An Idaho Christmas" by: Jerry Tlucek




I had to listen to this song twice because I tuned it out after 30 seconds, it was so generically country and twangy, that it sounded like ever other country music Christmas song I've ever heard.  This song was so bland, I can't even think of anything snarky or funny to say about it. Congratulations, Jerry, you wrote a song so dull that I can't even make fun of it!

2 out of 5 Potatoes




"Christmas in These Idaho Hills" by: Braun Family

 

In case you think I'm just hating on states that tend to produce/prefer country music or speak with some sort of drawl, rest assured that I did not hate this song.  I actually liked this one. (I know, I'm shocked too.)  I was all prepared to make fun of this one hard core because family bands are super easy targets (The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch, The Osmonds) but the Braun Family surprised me.  This song is more bluegrass than country, and it has a nice rhythm to it.  The lyrics are cheesy enough for a Christmas song, but with pleasing imagery that isn't over the top. It's just a nice cozy song for a chilly December playlist.

3 out of 5 Deadly Icicles 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.