Friday, December 1, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 1: Alabama & Alaska

On the first day of Christmas my Google-Fu sang to me:

Alabama:

"Merry Christmas, Alabama (Never Far From Home)" by: Jimmy Buffett



My inner Parrothead  is happy I could add Mr. Buffett not just to this list, but right at the top!  For people more fond of Jimmy's "island sound" vs his country roots, you might be a little disappointed by this song.  He sings about his Alabama roots and how he's traveled far in his life, but clearly never forgets home. Yes, it's a little cheesy and screams nostalgia, but doesn't every Christmas song?  I'm biased because I grew up listening to Jimmy Buffett, but I like this song.

I give it 5 out of 5 Christmas Parrots



"Christmas in Dixie" by Alabama



Yes, there is a band named Alabama, and shockingly, they wrote a Christmas song about the state of Alabama.  Are their songs painfully country and nostalgic? Yes. But do I still like their Christmas album? Yes.  This was another band that I hold near and dear simply because my mom listened to this album at Christmas every year for most of my childhood, so they also get a nostalgia point from me.

I give this song 4 out of 5 Alabama State flags.




(Yes the AL state flag is just a big red X.)


Alaska:

"It's Christmas Every Day in Alaska" by Hank Thompson



Hoo boy, this song sure is...something...
I honestly can't quite tell if this song is meant to be satirical or charming.  According to Hank Thompson's "official" website he was supposedly "The King of Western Swing" with a career that spanned 7 decades, so I'm guessing it was supposed to be a good-natured song.
It's full of very strange stereotypes about Alaska, and I can't really say that it's about Christmas other than him singing that it's Christmas every day in Alaska. It's a weird song but kind of catchy.  If any Alaskans want to chime in on your opinion of this song, I'm all ears.

I give it 2 out of 5 Caribou.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.