Monday, December 11, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 11: Massachusetts & Michigan

On the 11th day of Jessmas my Google-Fu- found for me:


Massachusetts:

Strangely, I really struggled finding Christmas songs about Massachusetts.  There are plenty of classic tunes that could probably be about MA or anywhere in New England (Sleigh Ride, Jingle Bells, The Christmas Song, etc.)  Frosty the Snowman was supposedly written in Vermont.  But in keeping with my rules, I will omit those songs from my list.

"X-mas Time (Sure Don't Feel Like)" by Dogmatics

A melancholy rock song straight out of the 80's makes several Boston references in the song and harps on the same themes I heard in the songs about Kentucky: being broke at Christmas sucks.  The difference here is that the singer just kind of sounds cranky about Christmas in general, not sad that he can't buy gifts for his kids, he just comes across as grumpy.  But, then again, it was the Boston rock scene in the 80's, I heard lots of people were cranky then.  After listening, I don't feel the Christmas spirit, I just want to go drink heavily.  So then I guess I would be full of the Christmas spirits!  (I'm sorry...)


2 out of Tea Parties  (see what I did there?)



Michigan:

"Michigan Christmas" by Brian d'Arcy James

I'm already biased about this song because I love Brian d'Arcy James!  He is a Broadway treasure.  I've never been to Michigan, but I love this song.  It's so sweet and cheesily nostalgic and Brian d'arcy James sings so beautifully and is so heartfelt.  I love this song.

5 out of 5 Mittens



"Wally Bronner (Christmas Always)" by The Hard Lessons

I didn't understand this song and had to Google Wally Bronner. Apparently he was  the founder of Bronner's Christmas Wonderland which is a retail store in Michigan that advertises itself as the world's largest Christmas store.  I guess it's a local icon or something.
Aside from the song being super niche in its audience appeal, it's catchy and upbeat.  Unfortunately, I didn't love it.  Something about it I found annoying.  If I were from Michigan, I'd probably enjoy it more, but it's just not for me.

2 out of 5 Bronner's store displays


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.