Saturday, December 16, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 16: New Mexico & New York

On the 16th Day of Jessmas, my Google-Fu found for me:


New Mexico:

"Christmas in New Mexico" by: Jerry Dean

I don't know how I feel about this song.  Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet and my brain is firing on all cylinders, but I feel relatively neutral about this song.  The song is less about Christmas itself and more about food and traditions in New Mexico before Christmas.  Having not spent a ton of time in NM, I don't actually know if this song is accurate for the majority of citizens, or just Jerry Dean's family and friends.  This song could really just be a love letter to Mexican food.
For me, this song is now my preferred alternative to "Feliz Navidad" (I know I'm a terrible person, but I hate that song.)

3 out of 5 Empanadas




"New Mexico Christmas" by: Tom Scharf

Ok, we're going to take it down now.  This jazzy little tune is less about Christmas holiday traditions like the previous song, but more about appreciating the simple things and being thankful for what you have.  It's just a nice song to listen to while cuddling in front of a crackling fire, or a TV playing that 3 hour video of a crackling fire.

3 out of 5 Road Runners




New York:

"Fairytale of New York" by: The Pogues

I don't know why I like this song so much, it's beautiful, but a major downer.  I don't really care for the sound of Shane MacGowan's voice at the beginning of the song; too many years of cigarettes, booze and singing punk rock make his voice not quite suited for lilting piano.  Nevertheless, I really like this song.

4 out of 5 Guinness




"A New York Christmas" by Rob Thomas

I like Matchbox Twenty, but I've never been a huge fan of Rob Thomas, all of his solo songs sound exactly the same to me.  That being said, this is a nice Christmas song with a sweet message of compassion.  If you like that mid 90's alternative rock sound, you'll like this song.

3 out of 5 Matchboxes




"Christmas in New York" by: Shilelagh Law

Back to the Irish theme, this song is a lot happier and upbeat than the first one, but, it just feels really generic.  It's a pleasant song, but not a lot else is going on.  It was just "meh" for me.

2 out of 5 Rockefeller Trees



"New York is a Christmas Kind of Town" by: Marah

This song feels like it's a classic Christmas song written decades ago, but it's relatively new.  It has a nice rhythm to it, and the lyrics aren't too cheesy.  It truly feels like a modern classic.  I can understand why all the articles I found written about it love it so much.

4 out of 5 Empire State Buildings










No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.