Thursday, December 7, 2017

25 Days of Jessmas Day 7: Illinois & Indiana

(Note: I'm having issues embedding all the videos, probably since there are so many for this post.  But I will link to the songs if you care to listen.)

On the 7th day of Jessmas, my Google-Fu found for me:

Illinois:

"Illinois Central Line" by: Cody Wilder

Whoa.  Talk about a downer of a Christmas song to start your day.  Don't be fooled by the blues-y harmonica or upbeat country guitar riffs, this song is downright sad.  A little boy named Ned asks Santa for a red wagon for Christmas so he can carry more newspapers for his delivery route.  The delivery route he needs "to keep his family fed."
I realize it is a reality for many children/teens in our country to have a job just so they can eat, but damn, Cody did you have to put it in a Christmas song?!  The song sort of has a happy ending.  Ned gets his little red wagon and he and his parents feel full of joy on Christmas, but remember why he asked for the wagon in the first place?  For his job.  His job.  A little boy wants a tool for his job and not a toy to play with.  It makes me sad.
Stupid feelings.

1 out of 5 Red Wagons



"Tremont, Illinois Christmas" by: Fred Haring

Ugh, what is with Illinois country music?  
This song takes the story of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and turns it on it's head.  What if Mary and Joseph weren't Middle-Eastern/Jewish and traveling to Nazareth, but instead were Joe Schmo Americans traveling to Chicago. AND instead of getting stuck in Bethlehem, the had to stop in Tremont, Illinois with no motels. Oy.
I didn't think I could hate a song more than the Cheetah Girls' "Christmas in California."  But I found it.  Congratulations, Fred.  You've ruined the Christmas story for me even more than the trailer for The Star did.  If I could give a song negative points, I would.

0 out of 5 Stars



"Christmas in Chicago" by: Rob Ebbens

Ok, this is more like it.  Classic folksy guitar, slightly cheesy lyrics listing familiar landmarks and things he likes about the city, and a pleasing melody.  I've never spent any time in Chi town, but his lyrics paint nice mental images and I can tell that he loves Chicago, but not in an obnoxious way.  This song will push all of your nostalgia buttons if you've ever called the Windy City home.

3 out of 5 Deep Dish Pizzas




"Christmas in Chicago" by: Leon Russell

Now we're talkin!  When I think of Chicago music, I think of the Blues (Thanks, Adventures in Babysitting!)  And while the blues aren't necessarily my favorite genre of music, I like a good guitar or harmonica riff every now and again.  This is sort of your typical my-baby-left-me-and-now-Christmas-is-sad kind of song, but it is strictly Chicago blues and I really enjoyed it!  If you only listen to one song on the post today, make it this one.

4 out of 5 Elisabeth Shues





Indiana:

"Indiana Christmas" by: Straight No Chaser

Alright, I admit I'm already biased for this song because it's already on my Christmas playlist, I have family history in Indiana, and I really enjoy Straight No Chaser.  I'm a sucker for good a cappella. This is a lovely little song that is a nostalgia-fest especially since my dad grew up in Indy and much of the Ayers clan still resides there.  So, yes, I am biased, but that doesn't change the fact that this is certainly a nice song.

5 out of 5 Indy Cars




"Somewhere Hovering Over Indiana" from A Christmas Story - The Musical

I lived in New York when this show debuted on Broadway, but I never saw it, nor had the desire to.  Depending on who you ask, supposedly it was pretty enjoyable.  I'm always torn about the explosion of Christmas shows on Broadway that seem to pop up overnight come December.  I was one of those New Yorkers who turned their nose up at greedy-seeming producers relying on mediocre musical adaptations of popular movies to make a quick Christmas buck off of unsuspecting tourists.
But, on the other hand, shows like this employ hard-working actors and behind-the-scenes crews, 
This song is one of the last songs in the show.  In it, Ralphie, Randy, and all the children of Indiana sing on Christmas Eve as they are trying to fall asleep.  If you like Christmas songs and you like Broadway show tunes, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy this catchy, upbeat little ballad. 

3.5 out of 5 Leg Lamps


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.