Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Boooo! (Warning: Thar Be HIMYM Spoilers Dead Ahead)

For the past nine years there has been this little show on CBS called How I Met Your Mother, maybe you've heard of it. This week marked the ending of that show, and the internet reacted...well...exactly as you would expect the internet to react to the final episode of something so ingrained in pop culture for nearly a decade.   The Twitterverse and Facebookesphere feeds of the world erupted Monday night with fury, saddness, bittersweetness...but mostly fury from the looks of it.  

Now I won't rehash old news because anything I say at this point will just be redundant. But I will say that this is how the series finale made me feel:




I wish CBS had let the writers end the show at season 8 when they were prepared to instead of wasting this entire season making us emotionally invest in Robin and Barney's wedding only to make them divorce 10 fucking minutes into the series finale. It all felt like a waste of my time and emotions. I'm glad the writers got the opportunity to keep the ending they originally wanted when they started the show, because that is so rare these days especially in TV, but...but...seriously?!

I may just go on pretending that seasons 5-9 never happened. While I will think of the show fondly, and consider watching the first few season again, the final season and ending to the series will always be a

 

7 comments:

  1. I gotta be honest here, I have only watched one season in its entirety... and that was season 9. And I'm personally glad I did because I probably would have been as disappointed and angry as most. I had seen some episodes before but didn't want to invest to much time into the series. Something about it kept me at bay. And I recently watched the season and my reaction was: "meh" but like you I was glad for the writers and impressed that they managed to keep the ending they had invisioned. Most popular series, especially sitcoms don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, seasons 5-9 were a big ol' cloud of "meh" with scattered chuckles. I'm amazed you watched all of season 9 not having been invested like the rest of us.

      Delete
    2. What can I say? I wanted to see how he met their mother =P. And that wasn't going to happen apparently until the end.

      Delete
  2. I haven't watched this season yet, so I didn't read the whole blog--I watch it on Netflix once they get it, so I can watch the whole season straight through! But I have to admit, the show did seem to stretch the "met your mother" part out a little too far! Every time I caught a glimpse of the show this year, I didn't see the mother, so I can't figure out how he met her at the wedding, then didn't spend any time with her, but maybe those were just the episodes I saw. If he wasn't going to spend the season with her, there was no point in having an additional season--anyway, I look forward to watching it when it comes on Netflix and getting frustrated with what they've done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not watched an entire episode, only pieces. It never appealed to me, but now that it has ended I may just for the fun of it see if I can watch it on Netflix. Many long time running shows have a lousy last season. I think it's because the writers are burn out. Nice to meet you on the #a2zchallenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only read the first half of the post because I didn't want to read any spoilers. My husband and I LOVE How I Met Your Mother. Also, I bought my husband The Bro Code book a while back. So, yeah, we love it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time I loved HIMYM too. The finale didn't ruin it for me, but put a damp on my love for it. I have "The Bro Code" audio book read by Barney Stinsen himself. It's a funny listen, but I had to remove it from my iPod because when I had my music on shuffle mode it would randomly interject with NPH saying "CHAPTER THIRTY-FIIIIIVE!!!....A bro always...."
      It got old fast.

      Delete

Trolls will be deleted.