Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Nerdist Way



Source
 I recently finished reading The Nerdist Way: How to Reach the Next Level (In Real Life) written by Chris Hardwick. The book caught me off guard at first-I'm not sure why-I must have missed the memo.  I bought the book expecting it to be an autobiography (which it is in a way) but the book is styled as a self-help for artistic nerds, i.e Nerdists. That all being said, once I got over the initial surprise of the book being stylized in a different way than I expected, I really enjoyed it. Chris Hardwick is not only funny in his typical self-deprecating character, but he also displays heartfelt and poignant moments that I found very comforting and helpful.

Chris Hardwick reveals many of his own inner demons throughout the book in an attempt to connect with the reader and to show by example how not to succeed. He uses humor, examples from his own life, and D&D/video game analogies to write an effective guide on how to channel your artistic and nerdy selves into one powerful unit of awesomeness. In fact, he is so effective in his writing, that there were more times than not that I felt like he wrote the book just for me. So much so, that I found myself tearing up a couple of times. It was so comforting reading words written by someone I admired and looked up to as he recounted his own struggles with anxiety and addiction and having to live with poor choices, and yet he found a way to turn it around and build an empire of nerdy greatness. It was inspiring and freeing for my soul.

Ok, I got all mushy there for a second.  Seriously, though, if you haven't read this book, you are missing out. I highly recommend this read, especially with anyone who is struggling with lack of direction in their life. Hardwick has a way of weaving together hilarious yet focused musings on the world and how to be a successful nerd with whatever success means to the reader.


I give The Nerdist Way 4.5 out of 5 studious babies
Source


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.