Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why Has No One Thought Of This..?!

Last night I went for a massage. It was a combination of Thai Reflexology and Swedish Massage and it was delightful. I don't hold a lot of faith in "alternative" medicine (if it worked consistently and had scientific backing, why wouldn't they just call it medicine?) so I really don't believe that everything that's wrong with me can be fixed just by putting pressure on my hands and feet, but it feels so damn good! The healing properties of massage do exist; it is not good for us as people (especially us "office workers") to hold tension in our muscles or strain our bodies, and massage provides an excellent release and an excuse to relax and let go. But being the somewhat ADD person that I am, my mind rarely relaxes for very long, it's always thinking about some crazy idea or another.

Thomas Edison was said to sit in his armchair to relax with two large ball bearings in his hands and two pie tins on the floor under him. He believed that his best ideas came to him in that special place that lies just between asleep and awake. So he would sit in his chair until he fell asleep, then when his body relaxed, one or both of the ball bearings would fall and create a loud noise in the pie tins to wake him up, then he would write down his ideas. A somewhat unconventional method, but I think his theory could hold some water, as I have thought of some of my more creative and favorite ideas right before falling asleep at night.

So last night, while the massage therapist was working the tension out of my fingers and my hand, I was on the verge of sleep when I thought, "why has no one thought of a massage geared towards gamers?" There are all types of "specialty" massages out there: Pre-natal, post-natal, infant, geriatric, sports, high-heel, office worker, immune boosting. Why is there no gamer massage? I know there are plenty of products out there to improve the avid gamer's body or to help with gaming-induced afflictions, but massage can do so much more.

Think about it: we hold our hands/fingers/wrists in strange positions for long hours, we get eye strain, we sit on our backsides in front of TVs or computer monitors sometimes for days at a time with few breaks; we could totally benefit from a custom massage. My gamer massage would target the neck and shoulders, then the hands, fingers, wrists, then the glutes and sciatic muscles/nerves. I would set up a booth at every gamer convention world wide, it's genius! Now, just to get over my aversion to touching people...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.