Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Real Life Troll Takedown (Late to the Party)

Because I'm silly and haven't been checking my Twitter as often in the last couple of weeks, I missed this and had to hear about it from *shudder* the news media. But nevertheless, it's awesome and I wanted to share and show my support for this lady.

Rae Johnston is an editor for TechLife, an Australian tech magazine, and she's a gamer. Well apparently, gents in Australia never got the memo that girls game. She was wearing her Bioshock Infinite t-shirt and given the stink eye by some Troll in a coffee shop. He then accused her (in what I'm sure was a nasty condescending tone) of not having played. So she straight up told him the twist ending of the new Bioshock game.

BOOM!

  I doubt he learned his lesson even though she says she could see in his face that she crushed him. But score a point for the ladies!!! So after this, she's been interviewed and re-blogged and re-tweeted by the likes of Forbes, and  The Mary Sue, and Sir Wil Wheaton.

Go girl! 

I haven't encountered too many Trolls IRL, but I find them much easier to deal with in person than online, despite my social anxiety. I think they can be more vicious online and it's difficult to get them to back down when they are typing away from the safety of their hidey-hole. It's easier to take them down a peg when in public, because they have no where to run to and if you stand your ground, they will either admit defeat or mutter "Psh, whatever" and go sulk in a corner. But then, they'll probably go home and take out their aggression on the internet anyway, so it does feel like we fight a losing battle sometimes. Hopefully someday Trolls and harassment will only be something that happened "back in my day."  Keep fighting the good fight everyone. Just because the other side screams the loudest at times, doesn't mean they are stronger than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.