Monday, April 2, 2012

Are You Ready For It? (UPDATED)


3.5 Days until PAX EAST BITCHES!!!

Last March, I went to PAXeast-my first Nerd/Geek Con ever-and it was pretty much 3 days of sleep-deprived awesomeness! While NY Comic Con last year was a bit of a letdown, I still have high hopes for PAXeast being just as awesome this year, or even better since it won't be on daylight savings weekend. The pessimist in me says I'm setting the bar too high and will be letdown, but the budding optimist deep down inside says this year will be great. 
Last March I was going through some major depression and anxiety and wasn't medicated at all properly, so while PAXeast was a blast, there was this grey hazey cloud over everything. Now that I'm properly medicated and have my blog up and going and have you lovely reader(s) I feel good. Boyfriend is also borrowing some filming equipment so I can do my first vlogging from PAXeast, so everyone look forward to that! (He has tried to make me promise not to take my anti-anxiety meds this weekend, he doesn't want me to be high on camera. Why not?! I think it'll be more interesting that way. Maybe we'll get enough "high" footage to make a blooper reel or something. That's comedy vlog gold right there!) I won't be cosplaying this year (last year I went as Jessica from Dragon Quest VIII,) but I plan to get lots of great pictures and video of what I predict will be some awesome cosplay!

To those of you attending this weekend, I'll see you in Boston! To those of you not attending: what would you like to hear about most after PAXeast this year? I'll be tweeting all of the goings-on at the Boston Convention Center next weekend, and as soon as we get the footage all edited and junk, I'll post it. Stay nerdy!

Commander Keen & GurlNxtDoor at PAXeast 2011

(UPDATE: 7/6/12- I am so incredibly late to this party, it's not even funny. This party is so over, the house it was held at has since been condemned and is awaiting demolition. Even so, I wanted to say my peace. I just learned about the PA dare-I-even-bring-it-up-again-dickwolves debacle (I told you how late I was to this party.) I am soooo glad I was blissfully unaware of it prior to attending in 2011. Reading the timeline was a great way to kill 8 hours at my shitty office time today. While, it has changed my view slightly of the PA guys, I am simply thankful for the insight into why I may not have enjoyed my first PAX East experience to the fullest extent -and it wasn't all in my head. I was unmedicated and emotionally fragile at the time, while that was the majority of the reason I had a hard time that year, looking back at everything, I really do think that the dickwolves clusterfuck "colored" a lot of my experience at PAX 2011.

Boyfriend and I attended several panels that discussed more female-gamer-focused topics, but nearly all of them devolved into a shouting/bitch fest of boys vs. girls and brought up some very sensitive topics that my delicate little psyche was not properly equipped to handle at the time. We left several panels way early before the mud really started slingling. While the dickwolves train has definitely lost a lot of steam, it still maintains a lurking presence, like everything else on the internet, even almost 2 years later.

I will say that I very much enjoyed most of PAX East 2012. I felt welcome. I did not feel ostracized.  I had fun.  That's the point of PAX. I hope it continues to thrive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.