Monday, November 18, 2013

Memory Lane Monday: L.A Vs. NYC (Round 1) or Dear God What Have I Done?!

Source
I've been in L.A for 3 weeks now. I knew it would be an adjustment, but I'm having a much harder time feeling settled and feeling like I'm "home" than expected. I still wake up in the morning half expecting to be in my old shit-hole apartment. I'm relieved that I'm not, but then I remember that I no longer live in NY and I get a little sad/confused/scared/happy.


I'm definitely feeling more insecurity than I've felt in a long time (which is saying a lot, actually.) I miss my NY friends. A lot.  I miss my routine. I feel scared and guilty and horrified that I've made a terrible mistake. I got cast in a play from the very first audition I went on after I got here, and I was feeling pretty good about myself despite my homesickness. Unfortunately, this weekend some serious high-school-level crazy drama bullshit went down and I'm no longer enjoying my theatrical experience. I won't go into it here and now, since it's still fresh and I don't know how it's all going to pan out yet, plus I don't want to embarrass anyone or burn any bridges this early in my L.A tenure.  I'd be lying, though, if I said it wasn't contributing to my melancholy today.
 
All those feelings aside, I have made some humorous (at least to me) observances about the differences between NYC and L.A...wait observances? That's not right is it? Observations. Fucking brain. I need to start drinking earlier...
Anywho, there are some subtle -let's call them oddities- I was unaware of before arriving in California:

-In NY, no one can drive worth a damn, and they will run your ass over, but usually they can't go faster than 30 mph, but they'll gladly flip you off afterwards.  
In L.A, no one can drive worth a damn and they will run your ass over going 75 while they sip their non-fat decaf soy mocha latte and gladly flick their cigarette butt out the window at you.

-In NY if you invite your friends out and they decline, it might be because the subway is all screwed up and they won't be able to get home easily after 10pm. 
In L.A if you invite your friends out and they decline it's probably because they found "the most amazing parking spot" and don't want to go out because they'll lose it. (True story, I wish I were joking.)

-NY is filthy. 
L.A is filthier.

-In NY if you want to see nature, you have to get in a car and drive for an hour to go upstate.
In L.A if you want to see nature, you just have to wait for a not-so-smoggy day and you can see the mountains. 


-In NY it's not completely unheard of to see a full-grown man dressed up in an elaborate black and white Charlie Chaplin costume getting onto the subway.
In L.A it's not completely unheard of to see a full-grown man dressed up in an elaborate black and white Charlie Chaplin costume getting into his car.

-NY, even though it is an oblong island shape, it is a grid for the most part.


L.A and the surrounding areas are...whatever the fuck this is:


-In NY a student film casting call will say something like "18-30 female, brunette, 5'6" and taller, 120lbs, must be comfortable with same sex kissing, must be comfortable with full-frontal nudity and simulating sex on camera, payment: no pay, copy, credit."


In L.A student film casting will say something like "18-30 female, blond, 5'6" and taller, must be comfortable with same sex kissing, must be comfortable with full-frontal nudity and simulating sex on camera, Payment: deferred pay, lunch, copy, credit."

-New Yorkers have the reputation for being rude, but I understand them.

Angelenos are friendly in comparison, but it weirds me out on some level.


These are my observations thus far. Stay tuned, I'm sure I'll catalog some more in the coming months. For now, if you'll send your thoughts, feelings, prayers, good juju, etc my way in the hopes that I can get a job soon, that'd be great. Thanks, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.