Monday, February 25, 2013

Memory Lane Monday: Oscar Edition

How hilarious was Seth MacFarlane last night?! As far as Oscars go, last night was edgy, self-deprecating, and mocking. And I loved it. And say what you will about Seth -I will certainly admit that not all of his jokes played well- he didn't crash and burn like Anne Hathaway and James Franco. I've done some reading today and gathered tidbits of the vast spectrum of opinions about last night. I will spare everyone my bit-by-bit rebuttal as to why all the haters are just uptight or didn't understand context or satire, however biting it may have been (and come on people, Seth MacFarlane was tame last night. The man second-guessed a Kardashian joke for the love of Herbert!) I concluded last night before the show even started that no matter how awesome Seth could have been, you're never gonna wow the haters.

seth macfarlane haters
If you don't get this joke, I'm sorry, we can't be friends.
 Ok, ok. You caught me. I'm super biased. I'm in love with Seth MacFarlane and almost everything he does, so I went into the night expecting to thoroughly enjoy the Oscars. And I did. Case closed. I enjoyed it. If you didn't, then you are allowed your opinion. If you didn't find the "We Saw Your Boobs" song hilarious and cheeky, then you must live in a sad humorless world and I feel bad for you.  Or you're worried about *gasp* the children who were watching. Oh the children! God forbid you have to tell them what the word "boobs" means. It's prime time, folks. In NY the Oscars weren't over until midnight. If your child is scarred for life by the word boobs but staying up to watch the Oscars, I think your priorities are a little out of whack.

But enough about that. I really want to express my disappointment at the Wreck-it-Ralph snub. I saw Brave and I enjoyed it. Major congrats to Pixar on another Oscar win. It was a beautifully crafted film and looked gorgeous, but I thought Ralph was the better movie overall. Again, I'm biased, but so is the academy.

Etsy

I'm so happy Anne Hathaway won last night. Her acceptance speech left a little something to be desired, but she was incredible in Les Miserables (and for the love of god, Travolta, fucking learn how to say it correctly!) Boyfriend and I kicked off our Oscar nominated movie marathon with Les Miz last week. Do you want to know how much I loved that movie? I was a crying blubbering mess about 10 seconds into "Who Am I?" because Hugh Jackman is incredible. And by the end of the movie, I was sobbing. It was beautiful.

Speaking of ugly crying after movies, The Silver Linings Playbook brought out my ugly crying too. If you or someone you know has been touched by mental illness, I highly recommend seeing this film, although I will warn you that it may be triggering. It was for me. Everyone in this movie was spot-on amazing. Bradley Cooper's mood swings were incredible to watch as he swung in and out of a manic stage of Bi-Polar disorder. The portrayal of the ignorance and stigma surrounding mental illness-sufferers was all too real, heart-breaking, and enraging. After the movie was over, I had to sit in the bathroom and sob next to an endless roll of toilet paper. It was ugly. But that is what movies and art are meant to accomplish. They are meant to make you feel something. They hold a mirror up to life and society, and dare them to look deeply. This movie did that. I was disappointed Bradley Cooper didn't take the Oscar, but Daniel Day Lewis is always deserving, so I can't complain. This was the first time in a long time when I thought all of the nominees were amazing and you could have just drawn a name out of a hat and that person would have been deserving of the statuette.

So with how touched I was by Silver Linings, I was shocked and thrilled that J Law won. She is my favorite sexy Hollywood tomboy. And forever classy.


Adorable

I kind of hope she was flipping off the asshole reporter who asked her if she was worried that she had peaked too soon. Because fuck that guy, that's why.

So, before I start to ramble, last night was enjoyable. Plain and simple. I liked it. If you didn't, then you didn't. Let us all move on with our lives. So, in case you got up for a pee during the commercials last night, I leave you with this:

 
Greatest. Commercial. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.