Monday, November 12, 2012

Memory Lane Monday: My Ex Box

Source
We all have one. Some people call it "emotional baggage," but I like Ex Box better. Whether it manifests itself emotionally, physically, or metaphysically a la Scott Pilgrim, we all have an Ex Box that we sometimes carry around with us, or stumble upon when we least expect it. Some people (girls) keep physical trinkets of their relationships in a shoe box or keepsake box to look at when they grow old and grey with that person. I was a little more cynical in keeping my relationship keepsake boxes. I always kept them with the thought in the back of my mind that when (not if, but when) that person smashed my heart into itty bitty pieces, I would have all of this to remember them by. (And they say nerds have self-esteem issues.)

I stumbled upon an Ex Box while going through my closet at my Mom's house last week. It was filled with the usual stuff, old movie ticket stubs from movies I had forgotten that I'd even seen, cheap little trinkets and toys he bought me, some dried flowers, rocks and shells from vacations he went on without me, and his old toothbrush he used to keep at my apartment (gross.)  I laughed at most of the stuff in the box, but I was also amazed at how many memories came flooding back to me, and not many of them good. I smiled fondly at all of the goofy shit in the shoebox, but then when the rush of memories flooded my brain, I was kind of sorry I opened it. I remembered all of the things that made that relationship impossible and I sort of wanted that year of my life back.

But, then after putting the box away, the annoying memories subsided and I was happy that I was with my family and that I had a wonderful boyfriend waiting at home for me to return from my trip and that as much as I missed him, it's healthy to spend time apart.  I learned a lot about myself and my family last week, and I am grateful for it, as painful as learning can sometimes be. 


Wanna see a picture of the Ex Box?! I thought so. Behold, the last Ex Box I will ever have:

LOL Ex Box
You know, this post was a lot funnier in my head. Sorry, I had a bad morning IRL. I'll be better tomorrow because LittleBigPlanet Karting came out last week while I was away and Boyfriend picked up my pre-order for me, then he took me to see Wreck-it Ralph tonight, so lots more fun things are coming later this week for me to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.