Monday, November 5, 2012

Memory Lane Monday: You Can Sometimes Go Home Again

I'm writing from the road this week, so my time zones are all screwy especially with the Daylight Savings time change. This is a short and sweet post.  I started to write this post on an airplane, but since we all know how I feel about flying, that didn't last very long. I'm visiting family in Colorado this week, staying in my old childhood bedroom. It's always strange to come home. In some ways it's like slipping into a worn pair of sneakers and walking around comfortably. But, it can also be like walking into a room and a a tidal wave of memories (good and bad) and feelings hits you in the chest and you almost fall over. Or maybe that's just me...

I was looking through closets and drawers for old pictures that I wanted to digitize for preservation and I came across lots of things that triggered so many emotions and long-forgotten memories. I came across things and said, "I can't believe mom kept this!" and other times I would find parts or pieces of toys and say, "Why didn't mom keep the rest of this?!" It's a funny thing going home.

I was amazed at some of the games and toys my mom kept for me:

My GameBoy and the only 3 games I could find.



My Rubbermaid tub of toys I decorated with TMNT stickers


Our old version of Risk circa 1975 (and yes, my made-up rule sheets were still in there!)



My Little Pony puzzles!!!


Star Wars Monopoly which, shockingly, no one ever wanted to play with me.


Original Trilogy on VHS! Not special edition! Score.

And to top it all off, my Yoda Pez dispenser complete with decade-old strawberry Pez candy. 
It molds you, know.




Well, that completes this trip down Memory Lane. Everyone remember to vote and no matter the outcome, be good to each other. I leave you with this:




You can go home again, but sometimes when you get there, your childhood candy is rotten. 
Or something else philosophical...
#ThingsYouCantUnsee

2 comments:

  1. All that stuff is so cool...but that piece of Pez candy is disturbing...It will probably haunt my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love this post - it's so fun to go through your childhood things sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete

Trolls will be deleted.