Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tragic Day Part Deux

My beloved PS3 displayed the Yellow Light of Death recently, and it was a sad sad day. Thanks to a neat little kit from iFixit, Boyfriend successfully repaired the PS3. Then, to hopefully avoid future YLoDs, he replaced the original 15-blade fan in the PS3 with a 19-blade fan, which made it a little louder, but seemed to move hot air better. All in all, I believe he took the PS3 apart and put it back together at least 4 times. This concerned me slightly, but Boyfriend is fairly technically savvy, so I was confident enough in his abilities to not make the PS3 worse. And it worked!!! For about 3 weeks...

Last night, after a particularly frustrating day at my job, all I wanted to do was go home, sit on the couch with a snack and play Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through the game, and last night I planned on beating the game, but the PS3 had other ideas. Right in the middle of an intense fire-fight on a quickly sinking cruise ship (spoilers?) the PS3 chirped 3 times and shut down completely. Fuck.

Today is a new day, but only in the sense that the day itself is different. I'm still at my frustrating irritating job, I'm still broke as a poke, and my PS3 is still not working. Boo. But, I'm trying to be positive today. I'm currently working on applying at Sony and Naughty Dog and some other companies in the gaming/entertainment industry, since that is where my heart is, and not at my current place of employ (but shhh, don't tell them that). So to end on a hopeful note, the PS3 might be fixed by next week, and maybe I can find a job I love before I turn 30. For now, I'm just going to keep on plugging away, and doing my best, since that's really all anyone can do each day.
Update: 11/10/11- The new Icy Diamond thermal Paste arrived in the mail this morning. We shall see if it lives up to it's name...
I flipped off the power switch on the back to let it cool down a bit, and then attempted to turn it back on several times to no avail. Boyfriend got home from work not long after this tragedy part 2, and we did some research online to find a better thermal paste and method of applying it since the first time around it was only a temporary fix. We also seriously discussed the inevitable: buying a new PS3, something neither of us can afford right now, especially with the holidays quickly approaching. After my colossal shit of a day, and my favorite activity blowing up in my face, all I could do was sit on the couch and cry.

2 comments:

  1. It must be so upsetting to lose a console like that. I had 2 PS2s break on me back in the day, and 1 360. I feel you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mattyp. Yup, it sucks. They say when it rains, it pours, and this week has been one hell of a shitstorm.

    ReplyDelete

Trolls will be deleted.