Monday, October 3, 2011

Games Are Good


Last week I started replaying one of my favorite games, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. It is a classic RPG originally released on PS2 by Square Enix and Level-5 in 2005. I've heard it said that, at the time, it was the longest RPG ever made. I can't find any valid sources that prove this, but it's also relative. What takes me 70 hours to complete may differ with other more/less experienced players. Either way, if you are a fan of RPG style games, and haven't played this, go now. But it. play it. Love it. This being said, I can also understand that many people do not care for true RPG style console games. They are tedious. I thrive with the tedium of puzzles most of the time (if I'm in an impulsive mood or feel impatient, then I'll sit down and watch an action movie or something instead of playing an RPG). But I understand that tedium is not for everyone. Lots of players play Madden or other sports games. I don't particularly care for those (although the 1993 NBA Jam arcade game was the shit). I've played and enjoyed Wii sports, but when playing those games with friends, I feel more accomplished and tend to have more fun than sitting on my couch mashing buttons and watching football/hockey/soccer/baseball teams do stuff, I'd rather just go to a sporting event or watch one on TV at a bar or friend's house. I find sports games much more fun while playing with friends, but if I had my choice, I'd rather play a battle or racing game with friends than Madden.

This blog wasn't intended to bash sports games or the people who enjoy them. I respect you, sports games and the players who play them! I respect you as people and as fellow gamers. My point was merely that I know that I like games that others don't and lots of other people like games that I don't particularly care for, and that's ok. If you like games, we have something to chat about. But don't come over to my house and bash my taste in games. Don't be a douche. But that's another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.