Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Case You Wanted More Opinions...

I probably sound like I've been bashing NYCC in my previous blog posts, well, I kind of have. Now, in NYCC's (minuscule) defense, I was tired, I was coming down with a cold, and I was on my period all weekend, so I was bound to be a little testy. However, the main issues I had with the show lie strictly with the management/execution of the show (i.e. ReedPop) and the Javits Center, not the comic con community. I was very disappointed, mostly because PAX East (a con I adored) is also managed by ReedPop, yet the 2 shows were run very differently.
Let's start on a positive note so I don't sound like a whiny troll with nothing better to do than bitch and moan about stuff, k? Ok.

Good stuff about PAX East:
-I got to visit Boston for the first time, and Boston is a tolerable bus ride away from NYC, where I live, so it was easy enough to get to and fro.

-The Boston Convention Center was massive (almost too much so) and easily accommodated all who attended/participated. That being said, we did not get into every panel we wanted to, however there was an abundance of alternative yet equally-as-awesome panels we could choose as 2nd or 3rd choices.

-The "Enforcers" or volunteers/staff who helped keep everything running smoothly were energetic, informative, and had great attitudes during the 3 day weekend nerd extravaganza.

-The convention center food was not terrible and not too badly overpriced.

-We did not have to pay for a single autograph/picture.

-There were show-sponsored concerts that were included with admission (and they rocked).

-Most people seemed to follow "Wheaton's Law"



Not-So-Good-Stuff about PAX East:
-The Con was held the weekend of DST kicking in (a la "Spring ahead") so we lost an hour Sunday morning after the concert, which translated into 1 less hour to sleep, which translated into thousands of sleep-deprived convention-goers. Sunday looked a bit like the Walking Dead (minus the blood and entrails). But it was soooo worth it.

JoCo summed it up best at the end of his set on Saturday night/Sunday morning: "It's late at night. It's spring forward night which I think it means it's already Wednesday, so we're all fucked."
Indeed, sir.

-We did have to take a cab to the bus depot from the convention center as there was no other mode of transportation, but it was fairly inexpensive.


-Convention center food was pretty much the only option for sustenance.


Good stuff about NYCC:

-It was held in NYC, so it wasn't much longer than my normal morning commute to attend, plus I was familiar with the train/bus routes already, and I got to sleep in my own bed at night.


-Overall, it was fun...ish.


-Bought some cool toys/merch


-Got some autographs/pictures from some cool people.


-We saw some great Cosplay


Not-So-Good Stuff about NYCC:

-Many non-follower's of Wheaton's Law (Worst offenders: the 3 douche mongers who cut in front of 1000 people in line to see the Masquerade).


-Lack of organization/information from the staff


-Lack of information provided by the show management/organizers


-Paying for autographs sucks ass (apparently $30 is the new $20)


-Etc, etc, etc
Now, this all having been said, I understand that organizing and executing a large convention of these magnitudes (or larger) is not easy. I know that it takes the show management team loads of planning all year long and that at the end of the day, it's not possible to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. I know all of this because I happen to work for such a company (who will remain nameless to protect their identities and my job). So having an insider's view of the convention/trade show management process, I think I'm qualified to be a little picky about the conventions I choose to attend. I don't plan to attend NYCC in the future, unless I can be a guest on a panel or possibly qualify as press with my blog. However, after my scathing reviews, they may not even want me there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.