Monday, September 9, 2013

Memory Lane Monday: When Childhood Gaming and Being a Classy Adult Get Together and Make an Awesome Baby

Last Friday night, Boyfriend and I did something that, as a child, I always imagined every cultured person in NYC did all the time: we attended an art show at a gallery. Now this was no ordinary art show, thank you very much. This was the 3 NES Show at the Bottleneck Gallery, featuring a multitude of pieces in every medium imaginable, all inspired by the Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid games. So in other words: Best. Art Show. Ever.


To be honest, I was only mildly excited about going to the art show opening. Firstly, the gallery was in Williamsburg, which is not only mildly annoying to get to from Astoria, but we all know how I feel about Williamsburg. Secondly, going to a crowded art gallery (aka a small space) did not sound very appealing... you know, that whole social anxiety thing.  However, once we got inside and I got a free beer in my hand (thank you Brooklyn Brewery) I felt ok. Then I just reminded myself that I was surrounded by other nerds like me who probably all had their own awkward inner demons, and we were all there because we liked video games and/or free beer. But once all the people who were only there for the free beer cleared out, and I started documenting things for the blog, I felt a lot better and really enjoyed myself.

My t-shirt was designed by ShayLei and can be purchased on Redbubble

There was so much amazing art at this gallery! I wish I could have taken pictures of everything to share, but then no one would go to the gallery to see the show. So here are just some of my favorite pieces:


These gorgeous portraits of Peach, Zelda, and Samus are painted with acrylic by Kathleen Sanders and are available to purchase for $300 each. If I had a thousand extra bucks laying around, I would have snatched these up in a heartbeat.

Peach

Zelda

Samus


This amazing paper mache sculpture, entitled "Chomper Plant with Fireball" was done by Art Lopez, and stands approximately 13" high.

Boyfriend and I did end up buying 4 limited edition prints of some pieces we really liked. That's right, bitches, we bought us some art, like adults! Because we're all classy and shit.

"Armoured Beauty" By: Javier Jimenez
 Boyfriend and I bought a set of 3 of these giclee prints of your favorite video game beauties all tattooed and bad-ass-looking. We also bought this signed limited edition archival print of Link and dark Link in the Water Temple. I wanted this not only because it's awesome, but also because of the piece's title:

"The F ' ing Water Temple" By: Kim Herbst

I won't comment on all the pieces that I documented except this one last giclee print. I'm only going to share this one because it made me feel icky and it falls into the category of "things you can't unsee" and I need to share that pain with you all. I cropped the photo to be as SFW as possible, but it probably still isn't. Behold, your childhood game heroines as call-girl posters: (After the break)






   
"For a Good Time, Call Zelda" By: Jude Buffum
Things you can't unsee, am I right? I chose to share the Zelda one because I found it to be the least gratuitous/borderline offensive/makes-you-feel-creepy. But, I'm not judging if you're into that sort of stuff -you can view all of the pieces in all their glory(?) here, here, and here. I'm all for some kinky fantasy (after all, I was the one exploring the depths of Rule 36 by spending hours searching for a Doctor Who vibrator... you know, for a friend) but this art set crosses the line for me, in the same way My Little Pony BDSM toys cross the line. But, to each his own.  Again, not judging.

Anywho, please enjoy the rest of my favorites of the 3 NES Show:


"Dressing Link" made of felt by Walrus Felts


 

Epoxy and polymer clay sculptures by Cig Neutron


 
"Little Mario" (Set of 3 Giclee print) By: Jerrod Maruyama



"Death From Above" (set of 3 hand-pulled screen print) By: Doug LaRocca


"Justin Bailey" Mixed media By" Lick Your Elbow


"Link's Upgrade" watercolor by: Drew Falchetta


"Bombs Away" acrylic on wood by: Kasey Tararuj


"Zelda" mixed media by: Anita Mejia

"Miss" set of 3 digital on canvas by: Sam Carter

"Wolf Dressed as Link" by: Benjamin Flouw
 And finally, I'm sorry, but...



"The Princess is in Another Castle" by: Maria Vitan


 The 3 NES Show continues until September 22nd at the Bottleneck Gallery in Williamsburg. I highly recommend going. The pieces that have already sold should still be available for viewing until the end of the show. If you can't make it to the gallery, I suggest taking a look at the online shop where you can view the entire gallery and purchase art.
 

(Most of the art was originally featured at IAm8Bit Gallery in L.A, and more can be seen on SourceFedNerd.)

Note: I tried very hard to be thorough in attributing all art to its artist, and linking to all of the artists who had an online presence. If you notice an error or if I displayed the incorrect title on a work of art, please let me know and I will correct it asap.

2 comments:

  1. All the artwork from this show is on sale right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. at bottleneckgallery.com

    ReplyDelete

Trolls will be deleted.