Saturday, February 4, 2012

Nerdlesque

Tonight I'm going to see me some burlesque! Nerdy burlesque. Nerdlesque, to be precise. I am quite excited! I've only been to one burlesque show, which I'm sad to say, because New York has an abundance of burlesque-viewing opportunities (we have a burlesque school here, even). The one show I've seen, I really enjoyed, even if it was in the seediest/scariest bar I've ever set foot in (but that's another story).

In case you don't know, burlesque is a performance art that is seeing a renaissance. It's a variety show, also involving the classy removal of clothing in front of an audience. Tres sexy.

Ever since my first attendance at a burlesque show about a year ago, I've been trying to learn more about it. I'm on the New York School of Burlesque's e-mail list hoping that one day I will get up the nerve (and the money) to take a class. I also buy British burlesque publications (it's huge in Europe), and I recently just purchased the Burlesque Handbook, written by the New York School of Burlesque's head mistress, Jo "Boobs" Weldon. I'm quite excited to read it!

So tonight Nerdlesque is on and I plan to enjoy it thoroughly. Check back tomorrow (or the next day in case I'm too hungover/sleep deprived to post) for my review! I'm thinking of wearing a fedora with a little press tag in it. It'll be great!
Stay tuned for my review!

Nerdlesque VIII: The Fast and the QWERTYest
Brick Theater (575 Metropolitan Ave., Brooklyn)
11pm
$10

1 comment:

  1. Nerdy and burlesque in the same sentence? INTRIGUED.

    I've seen cosplay burlesque at my local anime convention which was sex-ay. 18+ no kidlets allowed. it was awesome. Looking forward to seeing it again this year.

    ReplyDelete

Trolls will be deleted.